Non-NHS work (Private Work)

Some services provided are not covered under our contract with the NHS and therefore attract charges. This is often referred to a “private work”. Examples include the following:

  • Medicals for pre-employment, sports and driving requirements (HGV, PSV etc.)
  • Insurance claim forms
  • Prescriptions for taking medication abroad
  • Private sick notes
  • Vaccination certificates

The fees charged are based on the British Medical Association (BMA) suggested scales and our reception staff will be happy to advise you about them along with appointment availability.

For further information on private work and charges at Hall Green Health see our private fees and charges.

Requests for Medical Certificates for School absence

It is not the responsibility of NHS general practice to provide medical certification for school absence and the policy of this practice is always to refuse such requests.

If for whatever reason you do require a medical report on this child’s condition then please request this formally in writing, enclosing signed parental consent for the release of confidential information. We would advise that we will charge the school a professional fee for this service, in accordance with our contractual regulations.

Why do GPs charge a fee?

The NHS provides most health care to most people free of charge, but there are exceptions. Prescription charges have existed since 1951 and there are a number of other services for which fees are charged.

Sometimes the charge is made to cover some of the cost of treatment, for example, dental fees. In other cases, it is because the service is not covered by the NHS, for example, medical reports for insurance companies, claims on private health insurance and other letters and forms which require the doctor to review the patient’s medical records.

It is important to understand that GP’s are not employed by the NHS, they are self employed and they have to cover their cost – staff, heating, lighting etc., in the same way as many small businesses. The NHS pays the doctor for specific NHS work, but for the non-NHS work, the fee has to cover the doctor’s costs.

Examples of work that incurs a fee:

  • insurance reports
  • letters from the doctor
  • taxi forms
  • holiday cancellation
  • private sick notes
  • letters for employers/schools
  • letters for PIP/benefit appeals
  • copies of medical records

Processing of non-NHS Work

We need any request for non-NHS work in writing. Once your request is received and paid for it will be passed on to the doctor for completion. If the request has come from a third party, such as an insurance company, we will invoice them directly. We will ask for your written consent, unless there is no legal obligation to do so. We operate a pay in advance system and work will not commence until the invoice is paid.

Priority must be given to the immediate care of patients, which offered with the NHS activities. Due the increasing demand on our doctors, please allow at least 4 weeks from time of payment for the work to be completed.

If your request is for a medical exam, you will be contacted directly with an appointment time and date.

Fees for non-NHS Work

All payments due from patients to be charged and paid before commencement of work.

Most Common Fees

GP Letter to confirm registered or proof of address for bank account£35.00
GP Letters, for non NHS requests, e.g. Housing / University / Gym / Immigration / PIP etc£50.00
Alterations to letters, first amendment is free£10.00
Permission for Medical Equipment required to travel e.g. Insulin/needlesNo charge

Other General Fees

Accident / Insurance Certificate / Holiday cancellation certificate£75.00
Job Application Health Questionnaire (e.g. Police Application)£75.00
Medical insurance (e.g. BUPA) Claim form or extract from medical records£75.00
Synexus Report (recieved directly from Synexus)£100.00
Council Tax Reduction Form / Disability Living Allowance FormNo charge
Employment Support Allowance /Univeral Credit (recieved directly from Department of Work and Pensions)No charge
Capita (Personal Independance Payment) (recieved directly from Department of Work and Pensions)No charge to patient
Occupational Health Report£150.00

Reports – No examination

Private / Employer’s report without examination – 30 mins£75.00
Report for Insurance Applications£130.00
Supplementary reports for insurance£50.00
Solicitors report per ½ hour£110.00
DVLA QuestionnaireNo charge to patient
Coroner requesting extract from note (copies)No charge
Coroner ReportNo charge
Cremation form Part 1£82.00
Cremation form Part 2£82.00

Reports with Medical Examinations

DVLA Report and Medical ExaminationNo charge to patient
Full Medical and Report for HGV / PSV / Driving Licence£150.00
Full medical for pilots license£150.00
Insurance company full medical examination£156.00
Lasting Power of Attorney / Court of protection with examination in practice£200.00
Lasting power of Attorney / Court of Protection with examination Home Visit£300.00
Private / Employer’s report with examination£150.00
Taxi Form£75.00

Other Authority Requests

Adoption Medical Form (AH Adult Health) – includes examimation£165.00
Adoption short Form (AH2 Adult Health Update) – no new examination£50.00
OFSTED Report – no examination£100.00
QEH Biochemistry Business Unit – Jane Dipper, direct line 0121 371 5955 or QEH number 0121 627 2000 will tell you what they charge for various tests, (blood, urine).
Certificates and Report for fitness for sports, seat belt exemption, fit to drive – short report, no examination£50.00

Page last reviewed: 24 January 2024